This post may contain affiliate links. I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on the links but at no additional cost to you. Thank you for continuing to support JandLOnline!
This lemon poppyseed shortbread cookie was one of those sweet treats I craved during an exceptionally hot, not-quite-summer, day. I really wanted something fresh and that zing from the lemon did it for me.
Have you ever made shortbread cookies before? It’s definitely not as easy as making most other cookies but if you have a bit of time to hang out in the kitchen, I definitely suggest making them, they’re worth it!
Lemon Poppyseed Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 cups flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a bowl, mix together butter and sugar until soft and fluffy
- Add egg and egg yolk, mix until fully combined
- Add vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and poppy seeds and mix. Then add flour and salt and mix until just combined.
- Place dough in plastic wrap and wrap tightly. Freeze for at least one hour.
- Roll out the dough and press out cookies with any shaped cutter.
- Place cookie cutouts on a lined baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
For the Icing
- While the cookies are baking, prepare your icing by combining powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Allow cookies to fully cool before icing.