A building update on our Virginia farmhouse.
This post may contain affiliate links. I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on the links but at no additional cost to you. Thank you for continuing to support JandLOnline!
Our 7-8 month building timeline went out the window several months back. I couldn’t bring myself to create a blog about months 12 and 13 because nothing happened during those months on our home build. I’m not over-exaggerating either; literally nothing happened in October and November because we didn’t have windows.
Are you confused? Because I’m confused.
Even with the pandemic, we have watched so many other homes break ground and pass our current phase in just the time we’ve been waiting on windows.
We were definitely told ahead of time by friends that a 7-8 month build on a custom home is not realistic but we were still hopeful. We asked our builder to order windows in July; they were ordered at the end of August and then the order was stuck in manufacturing and delayed. Our builder cancelled the order and placed an order with a different vendor and – you guessed it – that order was delayed. On top of the delay, they lost one of our windows and broke another.
Our end of November move in time-frame has now been moved to middle/end of February.
We’ve already extended our construction loan twice and they’ve told us we won’t get another extension without significant fees attached.
Here’s what happened in December, 2020:
- Windows finally delivered and installation began
- Windows still being installed
- HVAC and electrical/plumbing rough-in inspections passed
- Ordered interior doors and flooring
- Insulation was planned but snow storm delayed. They say they will be there Friday, Dec 18.
- Insulation company did not show; they couldn’t get down our driveway. They’ll come back Tuesday, 12/22.
- Ordered tile.
- Insulation inspection failed because insulation wasn’t done. Guess they didn’t cancel the inspector.
- Insulation company finally came by and completed the job.
- Insulation re-inspection – PASS.
- Drywall begins.
- Drywall mud and tape finishing up
- Durock installed
- Power company trenched and installed cable on 12/29 and connection to the meter was done on 12/31.
- Flooring delivered
- Ordered cabinets
- Ordered cabinet hardware
Hop on over and watch our monthly building update video on YouTube. Don’t forget to follow along for updates on IG @HouseManorVA and be blessed in your every day!
Sharing is caring!