This post may contain affiliate links. I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on the links but at no additional cost to you. Thank you for continuing to support JandLOnline!
While the month started out with little to no progress, we can finally see the shape of the house! Here’s what happened in July, 2020:
July 7 – 10:
- Framing crew was delayed at another job so our builder sent his guys to start framing. During this time, they prepped and installed the main support beam and worked on the sub-flooring for the main level.
- Dedicated framing crew started framing the structure! We stopped by at the end of the day to take photos and realized that all the windows were either wrong size or in the wrong places. They were using the original plans instead of my final window placement changes. Our builder says it’s not a big deal and they will fix it tomorrow.
- Framing crew returned and fixed the window placements (still missing the window by our front door)
- Finished framing the first floor. There were some wall placements that were off: Master bathroom, closet and library walls were placed at close to 19ft when they should have only been 16ft. We decided to leave the bathroom and closet with the larger dimensions since the bedroom was still a good size but they did push back the library wall to 16ft.
- 2nd floor framing started and we met with our contractor to walk through the plans. They, again, didn’t have the latest changes to the plans so I ran home and grabbed my copy for the framers to use.
- We marked out where the hallway walls should be and discussed the window placements for bedrooms.
- Stair guy came out to measure for our staircases!
- We stopped by at the end of the day and walked the 2nd floor. Despite walking through the with the framers the other day, they placed the walls incorrectly for 4 of the 5 bedrooms upstairs and left out a closet for the 5th bedroom.
- The bedrooms on the front of the house were given 3 extra feet which took away 3 feet from the rear bedrooms (making them extremely too small – 3 feet doesn’t sound like a lot but it really makes a huge difference for a bedroom.)
- We sent a message and then met with the contractor tonight to discuss what needed to be fixed.
I’m very excited to see the continued progress in August. We should be under roof and start plumbing and electrical work in the coming weeks.
The roof trusses are scheduled to be delivered with a crane on 8/5, I’m praying that these fixes don’t delay the schedule because who knows when they can get the crane back out here then.
If you’d like to watch the latest updates, click here to watch my YouTube building update video for July, 2020. Don’t forget to follow along for updates on IG @HouseManorVA and be blessed in your every day!